If you’ve watched the Super Bowl or “American Idol,” you’ve seen ads touting the 2010 Census. Fill out your form, the ads say. It’s cool. It will get your state money and representation.
What they need to say: You must fill out your Census form. It’s the law.
A new Rasmussen Reports poll shows only 13 percent of Americans realize it’s illegal not to fill out your Census form. Census forms will start arriving at homes this week, but the Rasmussen poll, released Monday, shows not everyone understands how the Census works.
- 57 percent said it is not against the law to not answer your Census questions.
- 30 percent aren’t sure if Census participation is mandatory.
- 25 percent of Americans don’t know what the Census is.
And feds, you scored only slightly better:
- 21 percent of government employees said it is illegal not to complete your Census form.
- 10 percent of private-sector employees said it’s illegal not to participate.