The White House has released a fact sheet outlining the benefits it will grant to same-sex domestic partners of gay and lesbian federal employees today:
- Domestic partners of federal employees can be added to the long-term care insurance program.
- Federal employees will be allowed to use sick leave to care for domestic partners and their non-biological, non-adopted children.
The memo will also outline benefits for partners of State Department Foreign Service officers, who for the first time will:
- Be able to use medical facilities at posts abroad.
- Be medically evacuated from posts abroad.
- Be counted when State measures a Foreign Service officer’s family size to determine housing allocations.
Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry is speaking with reporters at 3 p.m. on a conference call. Check back here this afternoon to find out what additional benefits, if any, will be included in the memorandum President Barack Obama plans to sign at 5:45 p.m.